18 Feb 2015

Old Town

On with the show! In this post I will tell you about the day I spent in Tainan 台南, the city where Dutch people first landed when they came to Taiwan. They established a fort on the coast to defend their trading post and called it Fort Zeelandia. Later when Taiwan was ruled by China during the Qing dynasty and Japan in the early 20th century, these countries left their traces in the city as well. I rented a bicycle and rode around the city, looking for these buildings which tell Taiwan's story.

I started my exploration in Tainan's city centre, where the Qing dynasty left its traces. There are a lot (!) of temples dotted around the city, it felt like every 10 metres there was a new one. There is also a fort which was built by the Dutch and later used as the seat of government by Taiwanese rulers. Best of all, there are little stalls selling food everywhere :)

Chinese roof design Dutchified.

Inside the temple for a deity of studying.

The Dutch fort.



Chinese roof design - traditional.

After walking around the centre for about three hours, I rode my bicycle to Anping 安平, the district of Tainan with the most traces of Dutch rule. There are trader's mansions, even  one built by a German trader. One of these mansions is particularly interesting, because as it fell into disrepair, trees started growing in and around the house. Now, the trees have started to assume the shape of the house, while the house is slowly disintegrating. It's a hauntingly beautiful place. Of course I visited the old Dutch castle, which was pretty surreal. You just don't really expect to see European architecture in Asia.

The "Tree House".



Dutch trader.

German trader.

The Dutch castle.

Of course, there are temples sprinkled between the European mansions.

My last stop of the day was the Taijiang 台江 National Park. I didn't really know what expected me there, since I only went because my host had recommended it to me. What I found surprised me to no end. Turns out Tainan has a mangrove forest. The shores of the Taijiang river are brimming with mangrove trees that have grown to form a natural green tunnel. Boats take visitors through the tunnel, a great experience. I think that anyone who comes to Taiwan should definitely go there, even if it's probably not in travel guide books.




I saw this sunset by chance, my boat tour finished just as the sun began to set.
A shame that I only spent one day in Tainan, it was a very nice city. The only disadvantage it has is that there are too many scooters on the streets for my taste. Riding around with a bicycle is pretty stressful, since these motorbikes go past on your left and your right and you just have to trust them to not murder you. If I go there again, I'll probably rent a scooter myself :D Next: Taichung.

Chinese Word of the Day: 日落 riluo, sunset. I figure since I'm showing you so many sunsets, you should know the word for it as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment